[Checklist] ICU Preparedness Checklist
ICU Preparedness Checklist
- Review and test your ICU emergency response plan and infection control policies.
- Review external disaster management and evacuation plans.
- Provide just-in-time training to staff.
- Assess ICU capability and identify contingency units.
- Mitigate therapies that cause aerosolization.
- Consult facilities management to safely cohort COVID-19 patients.
- Understand how to sustain mechanical ventilation outside of an ICU.
- Understand your ICU’s organization and chain of command.
- Discuss communication methods with all departments, patients, and families.
- Utilize online tools to maintain situational awareness and educate large groups.
CRITICAL CARE TRIAGE
- Ensure that all ICU staff are familiar with your triage protocol.
- Work with the emergency department to identify, isolate, and test for COVID-19.
- Determine inclusion/exclusion criteria for ICU admission.
PROTECTION OF ICU WORKFORCE
- Review policies for when ICU staff should be tested and take precautions.
- Prepare contingency plans for staff or their families who are quarantined or infected.
- Confirm that ICU staff will receive pay and benefits during quarantine situations.
- Prepare alternative staffing strategies in the event of a surge in patients or illness among
- Consider quarantine effects and work-rest cycles during increased patient load.
- Ensure ICU staff know how PPE will be distributed. Practice donning and doffing
- Inventory equipment/supplies and anticipate shortages.